Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Woo Hoo! Backup Here We Come!

I'm not a salesman, but here's something you might want to consider. From now through Sunday (6/24) you can get a Pogoplug device for free just by signing up for a one-year family membership. (The total is $29 and change, which includes $9 plus a little for shipping, but still it's a good bit less than the $49.95 cost of the device itself.)

Pogoplug Classic is
about 6 inches tall.
As I wrote not long ago, I recently resolved to back up my data, and I've been looking into how to do it. Just this morning, I had an email interchange with a company that wants $20 a month for its 10GB back up plan. Even though that's their entry-level package, it's still more capacity than I need (and definitely more than I want to pay).

So imagine my surprise and delight when an email arrived this morning from Pogoplug with just the offer I had been looking for, more or less. Fortunately I checked out the technology not long ago, before they came up with their family plan, so I didn't have to start from scratch in evaluating it. (I did sign up, by the way.)

In early May I generated an "internal report" about what Pogoplug had to offer as a technology. At the time I was exploring file sharing alternatives to using an FTP site. [If you're in a hurry at this point, then jump to the end of this post. Otherwise, this background information should bring you up to speed.] Here is the report:

The Pogoplug Options
Pogoplug technology offers an easy and controlled way to make your files accessible via the Internet (i.e., cloud storage). Or you could say, the company offers three easy and controlled ways for you to do it.

Pogoplug PC is software that runs on your PC and lets you make files Internet accessible. There is a 30-day free trial after which you can pay a one-time fee of $29.95 to continue using it. There's also the option of linking this to cloud storage. This is the way I shared the photos (and Powerpoint file) [for a recent project] with you earlier this afternoon.

The advantage: Everything stays on your own PC (unless you opt for the cloud storage).

The disadvantage: Your PC has to be running for the files to be accessible (unless you opt for the cloud storage). Also, it is set up for control by a single user (or shared login).

Pogoplug also offers three devices ($39.95 to $79.95) that provide a way to connect storage that you supply (such as a hard drive) directly to the Internet. FYI, you can get a 1 TB external hard drive for $100 or a little more and hook it up this way to basically have a piece of “the cloud” in your office, but separate from your PC, for less than $200.

The advantage: You can turn off your PC and still have access to your files as long as the Pogoplug device is powered up. And again, your files are right there, under your roof and your control. You also can connect a larger drive, or other devices, as you wish. (The top-of-the-line device allows multiple devices to be attached.) The Pogoplug device simply provides the communications and accessibility interface.

The disadvantage: It costs more, but it’s a one-time cost; and it has to be powered up for your files to be available. Also set up for a single user (or shared login).


Pogoplug Team offers the ability to set up multiple users and set up and use your own branded interface. It essentially uses the software solution tooled up for collaboration. It works with either a Pogoplug device or on a PC or server which is then melded with cloud storage -- but I may be oversimplifying things.

The advantages: Multiple user capabilities allow collaboration while keeping separate control. If you use the external cloud storage option, it’s always on – you don’t have to have any devices powered up to have the files available.

The disadvantages: There is a small annual fee ($15 per user). Also, with the cloud option, your files are “out there” somewhere (but that’s not unlike DropBox or other such services).

HOW YOU GET THE FILES
Regardless of which option you select, you access your files using your Pogoplug account. You log on through a web browser to upload files, as well as to view them. You share specific files or folders by emailing a Pogoplug-provided URL for that specific thing. The company has free (and good) apps for Android, iPad and iPhone.

In my experience, Pogoplug has handled all the file types I’ve tried very well. In addition to sharing photos and documents, it also works for streaming audio and video. Here are two examples. These links are from current website posts and are delivered by a Pogoplug device:

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT
Three things about Pogoplug really appeal to me. In any of its forms, Pogoplug is basically an FTP-like technology. But unlike sending someone to an FTP site, where they typically have to traipse around through lots of different folders, a Pogoplug link sends them directly to a specific folder or file. It’s similar to DropBox in that regard.

I also like the fact that you have the files right there (unless you use cloud storage, which of course does have other benefits). Maintaining control of file location is all relative, of course, but I personally like having it there.

The third thing is that all of the Pogoplug interfaces (browser and app) seem to work well. I’ve used the Android app on a smart phone, the iPad app, and the browser interface on a number of different PCs. All work well, and I don’t hesitate using this tool to share data with anyone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So now there's this fourth Pogoplug option, and it sounds good to me, particularly considering the price. Watch for a fresh link here soon (I'm sure I'll find something to share) so you can see for yourself how well it works.

1 comment:

Tom K said...

A NEW, FUNCTIONAL LINK
I think the earlier device has been taken offline or redeployed. However, here's a URL for a current file on my own Pogoplug - a short video.
http://ppl.ug/_j1AeRXP-eI/
What you see will be streaming from the hard drive sitting on my desk.