Sunday, July 14, 2013

Just don't call me late for dinner

Friday night in Tokyo was a pretty amazing experience. It began, of course, with a walk of several blocks to dinner. It felt a lot like being in New York's Times Square, but there was block after block that made it feel like an ongoing, continuous Times Square.

We were dining on the top floor of essentially the Shinjuku train station/Odakyu department store. I'm sure the restaurant had a name, but I missed it. (By Friday I was focusing on the food.) We walked in through the first floor of the department store then took an elevator to the highest level - 12 - then walked up one additional curving flight of stairs to the top floor and we were in the restaurant.

The view from the top (of Odakyu).
I'm sure there was a menu again this evening, although I can't find it now. But you get the idea - the food was indescribably delicious and beautiful. Again, multiple courses, each one a delight.




It was always remarkable how quietly the dishes (and there were many) were cleared.






And of course, dessert.

Don't believe me about block after block of Times Square? Check this out - roughly 10 p.m. on a Friday night in Tokyo.

Oyasuminasai, Tokyo (although not quite yet, but that is another tale for another time...)

No comments: